In the modern digital era, it is important for researchers, academics and their institutions and funders to maximise the visibility and impact of their published work. While traditional metrics such as Impact Factor and citations remain crucial to the impact of published articles, academics are increasingly measured on their wider societal influence as well. Altmetrics such as social media mentions and shares provide an additional route for quality content to be discovered by peers, students and the media. In response to this, tools to help academics promote their research across social channels, and to measure the effect of their actions, are on the rise with services such as Kudos.
What is Kudos and who is it for?
Kudos is a free web-based service that helps researchers and their institutions and funders to maximise the visibility and impact of their published articles. Kudos provides a platform for assembling and creating information to help search filtering, for sharing information to drive discovery, and for measuring and monitoring the effect of these activities. Kudos is for researchers who want assistance with increasing usage of and citations to their publications. Kudos is also for institutions and funders looking to increase the impact of the research that they fund, and for publishers wanting to develop closer relationships with their author communities and increase publication performance.
Watch the video below to see how using the Kudos service can help put your research into the hands of the people who matter.
Bone & Joint partnership with Kudos
Bone & Joint has partnered with Kudos to provide its authors and researchers with a platform to increase accessibility and aid discoverability by simplifying and explaining content, uploading multimedia materials and distributing on social networks and e-mail. We send DOI information for all articles published in The Bone & Joint Journal and Bone & Joint Research to Kudos, who will then contact authors with information on how to register and begin claiming enhancing and sharing their articles, and then measure the impact of their actions.
Click here to view a short webinar prepared by Kudos for Bone & Joint authors.
The Kudos service offers authors:
- Higher readership and increased visibility and impact for articles (all traffic generated by Kudos is directed via DOI linking to the full text)
- An easy-to-use toolkit, supporting the addition of enriched metadata and contextual information to maximise discoverability of articles
- Guidance and support on how to use both traditional and social media to raise awareness of articles
- Access to article level metrics, from multiple publishers, altmetrics, and citation data, uniquely allowing authors to assess the impact of their actions
- Access to benchmarking tools, allowing authors to quickly compare their activity against their peers and formulate a tailored plan for highlighting their research to a broader audience based on career stage and time available
- Accessibility to a wider audience in terms of traditional media, cross-disciplinary research and the general public
For more information about the Bone & Joint and Kudos partnership, please contact us.